Responsible for daily accounting operational functions including preparing daily bank deposits posting payment to insured’s accounts, processing claim
s payments and operating expenditures, general filing and data entry. Maintains internal control structure and systems, prepares reconciliations and work papers for general ledger control accounts, performs general financial analysis, prepares internal financial statements and reports, and assists in preparing regulatory financial statements and reports.
- Reconcile and adjust general ledger control accounts.
- Prepare all supporting work papers and schedules, monthly financial statements, and other periodic reports.
- Performs general financial analysis on financial statement and statistical data, identifying significant trends and variances.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or 2-3 years’ experience in accounting using GAAP with statutory accounting procedures preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting principles, methods, theories, practices and equipment including data processing programs and equipment; knowledge of insurance industry and insurance accounting both statutory and GAAP, preferred.
- Ability to interpret policies and procedures including identifying internal controls; ability to exercise sound judgment in making accounting decision involving financial record keeping activities; ability to lead and train others in procedures and use of computer accounting applications; create / innovate new / existing accounting processes and procedures.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, officials, policyholders and the general public.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information and documents; to analyze and solve problems.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and be able to meet required deadlines.
- Strong oral and written communication skills preferred but not required.